Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

To Knit or Not: My journey from crochet to knitting

I learned to crochet last Fall, and have been very happy with my experience.  I like the process of learning something new, so the early mistakes have made me a better crocheter, and I've made some lovely things, this being the latest finished product which I can't seem to take off:





It's the Maven Moebius Cowl pattern for one yarn, I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, and it worked up in no time!


So, back to the knitting.  The local yarn shop I frequent, Magpie's Cottage, has an avid group of knitters and not nearly as many crocheters, so I decided to see what the fuss was about and signed up for a Knitting 101 class.  Our first class was Tuesday.  This is the book we are using to learn:



It's published by the National Needle Arts Association, and they also published the How to Crochet book that I learned from.  

I am left-handed crocheter, but was pleased to see that I could knit "normally," which makes it much easier to learn.  I started catching on, and I thought, wow, this isn't so bad after all.  Then the lesson ended, and when I got home, this is what I ended up with:




The end product will be a scarf.  Next, the problems came.  I dropped stitches, and didn't know how to fix them, so I ripped it all out and started over.  The good news in this lesson is that I can now cast on much better after ripping out everything 3 or 4 times.  So, shortly after 10 a.m. yesterday, I was at the shop to get help fixing my mess!  Everything fixed, and was going swimmingly yesterday, then again last night, whoops!

So, needless to say, my project is a shambles, and I will once more be at Magpie's shortly after opening today to get some help.   Thank goodness for good local yarn shops!  Kim Oslund has been extremely patient with me throughout my short yarn obsession.

The jury is still out on this knitting thing.  So far, my "con" list is longer than my "pro" list, and as I continue on this yarn adventure, I may write more about that, so stay tuned!

Have a great weekend!

The Real Housewife of Sheboygan County

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up!! I also started as a crocheter and taught myself; not so much with knitting, I also needed class help and lots of extra help in the beginning. I've been at it now for about 20 years on and off. You will be so glad you stayed with it and the possibilities for your baby on the way are endless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the cowel. I have been looking for one for crochet for awhile now. Off i go to take a looky.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails