Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coffee Sack Crafts: My new bulletin board

I have been transitioning my old work desk from my past corporate life, into my crafting area and one thing was missing -- an "inspiration" board to pin up ideas, photos, bits of fabric, or other things that inspire me.

I ran across this post from Lil Blue Boo last year on a dress she made that was inspired by a coffee sack, and it got me thinking.  What happens to all those coffee sacks after the roasters are done with them?  I contacted someone I know at Torke Coffee in Sheboygan, WI.  He was more than happy to save a few sacks for me, and I was one step closer to my new bulletin board.

These sacks are very large, and the burlap is a little hard to work with - lots of fibers fly around when you cut it.  I don't recommend wearing black, or knits.  I learned the hard way, trust me.  I also washed the sack before using on a quick cycle, then hung it dry.  Be sure to get all the beans out first - again, I learned the hard way!



I cut the burlap to fit the bulletin board, then used a staple gun to secure it.  Finally, I cut ribbon for the trim and glued it on with fabric glue for the finishing touch.  Easy, and I have something attractive above my workspace.


I also added a little bling in the corner - a reminder of my time living in New Orleans to keep inspiring me.

There is another tutorial here by Maya Made.  She also sells a pattern on Etsy for these cute coffee sack buckets, so I might have to buy one to use up some of the extra sacks I have.  The dog needs a new toy basket!

Happy Crafting!

The Real Housewife of Sheboygan County




1 comment:

  1. Love this! I've been needing an inspiration board as well and just love this idea. thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails