Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Home-Made Takeout: Lighter General Tso's Chicken

Towards the end of the year I wasn't cooking as much as I'd like.  Not sure if it was due to the pregnancy fatigue, or just laziness on my part, but I enjoy cooking, so have vowed to try to cook at least three times per week when my husband isn't traveling.


I have developed a taste for Asian food - sushi, Thai, Chinese - and one of my favorites is Chang's Spicy Chicken from P.F. Changs.  The big problem is that P.F. Chang's is over an hour from us, so it's definitely a special occasion thing.


I was happy to find this recipe (click on recipe) from Martha Stewart last year, and have made it several times.  It's easy, tasty and lighter than a lot of take-out.  I serve with long-grain brown rice cooked in my trusty Sanyo Rice Cooker ( Sanyo ECJ-HC55S 5-1/2-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker, White), and it turns out perfectly every time.  I usually make a little extra sauce, and yesterday added shredded carrots for a little more color.  You can cut back on the crushed red pepper flakes if you don't like it too spicy.






Also, the rice is served in my new piece of Fiestaware.  I love the color and the pattern on the side of the bowl.  Very pretty!




Good luck!  I hope you try it the next time you're craving take-out!


Stay Warm,


The Real Housewife of Sheboygan County

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails