Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

First Timer

Yes, I am a blogging virgin, who is not really sure what to write about, so this blog will be very eclectic.  I intend to talk about what I'm doing, cooking, reading, watching, and hopefully to share some of my favorite things, websites, recipes, etc.

I'm also looking for something to fill my time right now as I am adjusting to not working for the first time in 19 years.  Everyone says you should have a "plan" when you retire, and I don't really have one!  I'm just trying to wing it for now, and enjoy what comes my way.  

Oh, and did I mention I just moved to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin?  This morning it was -3 when my future hubby and I went to the gym. It actually felt warmer than yesterday because there was no wind.  Luckily, he lets me keep the heat up high (72), so at least I don't have to bundle up too much!

I found out yesterday that I have been accepted into the 2009 Master Gardener's program through the country extension service.  They only accept 24 participants per year, so I was happy to get the call.  This is something I've wanted to do for the last 10 years, but with my travel schedule and the career, it just wasn't possible.  I could barely keep my herb garden going over the last few summers, but thanks to good neighbors in KC, they survived.  We don't have garden space here at the condo, but there is some community space, and I will be doing a lot of volunteer gardening throughout the county.  There's just something about digging in the dirt that makes me feel good.  I love growing herbs, and have missed making my herbal infusions of oils & vinegars for the past several years.  Now I have nothing but time, so am dreaming of summer when I can actually get to growing again.

My days since retirement have consisted of a lot of gym time, grocery shopping and cooking.  An acquaintance here in Kohler who also moved from the South, told me her first year she made a daily "triangle" between the gym, the Arts Center where she volunteered, and the market.  That made me feel much better.  Since we don't yet have kids, I'm not involved in the same activities as others my age (except for the gym!). 

There are lots of things I could be doing, like finishing the unpacking and organizing, sending Christmas cards, etc., but I like to do things I enjoy, and I don't find those things that enjoyable.  Plus, I will be sending New Year's cards this year, with a photo from our wedding in Mexico, so am not worrying about it too much.  

As you can see, I have lots of changes going on right now, but change is good.  I always say "If you're through changing, you're through."  

Well, as my mother would say, "That's all for now."  Oh, did I mention that she's starting to incorporate "text" lingo into her e-mails?  She asked me the other day what "ttyl" meant.  Then, it all made sense to her.  She's probably signing off with that on all of her e-mails.  Too funny.

AFN,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails